Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. It begins in skin cells called melanocytes. It looks like a mole. It usually has a shape that is asymmetrical (not the same on both sides), with uneven borders and patchy coloring, and they measure more than ¼ inch across.
Other recognizable traits of this cancer include:
* Asymmetrical skin growths, a mark that is dark on one side and light on the other for example
* Reddish or dark brown marks with irregular borders
* Marks on the skin that have more than one color, for example, that round black mole on your back that has now become brown, red, and black
* Increase in size, if the diameter of a mark on your skin increases in sizemelanoma on skin
* General changes to a mole, any irregularity should be considered as a possible warning sign